Thursday, June 16, 2011

maybe I should just start playing with Barbies again.

Ever since I can remember I've enjoyed just being by myself. As a kid, I would sit in my room for hours upon hours playing with Barbie dolls. I always shared this room with a sibling but had times where I was the only one in there.. and boy was it nice. I played with Barbie dolls until I was at least 10 years old and I have a feeling it was because of the peace and quiet I had in that room. Living in a 3 bedroom, very narrow Baltimore City 1910 row home always proved a challenge when living with 7 other people (at that time). You had to learn to adapt and get used to someone always being in your bubble of space. When there was no one around to pull your hair, steal your toys, or to taunt you in any other way, well you had to take full advantage of empty space that was available.
There is sometimes nothing better than being.totally.alone. Where you can think.. feel.. think some more... just be yourself..and breathe. Some would say that the only time they have by themselves and to do their best thinking is on the toilet. That's probably true for most of us. But sometimes, I wonder if locking myself in the pantry or closet would be even better. If we didn't have loud neighbors across the hall that shared our closet wall, I'd totally do that.. because in these fews walls we pay rent for every month.. there aren't many places to go and be left alone.
James and Natalie have bunkbeds in the largest bedroom out of the 2. We have the smaller bedroom because we knew that it would mean being able to keep our living room toy free. How'd that work out for us? Ha.. Well, I can say this.. we don't store any toys in the living room but like normal kids, they end up spewing their toy collections into every room, including our bedroom. It's very hot and sexy to wake up in the middle of the night because you rolled over onto.. not your husband... but.....a Hot Wheels car.
Sometimes I put myself in time out. It's the only way for me to not only calm down when things are getting ridiculously stressful with the kids.. but I enjoy my time outs. I think I'll go take one right now.

No comments: