Friday, June 1, 2012

We are now the super proud parents of a 1st grader!

I just can't believe it. James is 6 1/2 and going into the 1st grade in a couple of months. Look, you family members and friends warned me about how freaky fast these children will grow up. But I have a confession to make: I wasn't listening. Hearing you, yes. But really taking in your words, nope. Sorry guys, one ear out the other over here.
So it is now my duty to now pass these 6 words along to any and every parent I come across with their 1st baby: "enjoy them because they grow fast."

Yesterday was James' continuation ceremony. I started crying as soon as we all saw James lining up in the back of the auditorium. He hadn't yet seen where we were sitting so he looked like a deer caught in headlights- scanning every row of seats looking for us. Little did James know how close we'd be to the stage. Within 10 seconds, he saw me waving and smiling all the way from the very front row. Then he hopped up and down and waved, too. As he passed by his family, cheering him on while he took to the stage, he just had that look on his face- of pure self pride and happiness. I tear up while I type that last sentence because I will never ever forget that look on his sweet, 6 year old face. It will forever stay tattooed in my brain.
The graduation was really wonderful. Originally, we were told that other kindergarten classes from other schools may join in to use the auditorium (we used the high school's across the street from the elementary school) but it did not turn out like that at all. Once the photo montage popped up onto the screen, and the song "We're Going To Be Friends" began... tears rolled down my cheeks.

With a smile of course.



The little girl crying is the kids' buddy Bella.. she was so upset because she couldn't find her parents in the VERY large crowd. Awwww.. I wanted to run up there and hug her. Right after I took this photo the teachers hugged her.. 

(I.LOVE.HIS.TEACHER) We have requested for her to have Natalie in her class in a few months. Natalie's excited and the teacher is excited. Seriously, this teacher is THE BEST. 


And without further ado..I give you a clip of James bobbing his head to the music of the photo montage.. so adorable.. OH! and he's pointing at his sister in the front and says "that's my sister, Natalie!" BFFs I'm telling ya. 

And of course, we can't forget a clip of James walking on the stage to receive his diploma! I am so sorry that it's sideways.. I usually remember to hold the camera correctly.. he is the 2nd child called!

Natalie was so sick during the ceremony (fever, stuffy, and feeling awful) but she didn't want to miss seeing James at his graduation. She made it through, even clapping. Then she came home and took it easy. Unfortunately, we were only able to order pizzas that day. I managed to sneak James over to the pool for an hour, too. This weekend, we have some fun stuff planned! Bowling, a visit to Golden, a picnic, and probably more stuff that I'm forgetting. 

I am oozing with pride for this child... In August he'll be in a combo class: a class with 1st and 2nd graders. I'm sure it has a lot to do with budget issues, but this actually works out well for him since he's almost ready for 2nd grade (even his teacher said that to us again at the graduation..lol) 

YAY JAMES!!

No comments: