Thursday, April 5, 2012

loogies, giraffes, a horny peacock, and Mickey ears!

James had spring break all of last week. It was really funny to see him count down the days to the empty week. A week of sleeping in. A week of staying up a little later. A week of warm weather, sunshine, and an empty school playground. On that early Friday morning, disheveled hair and stinky morning breath, he hadn't even completely opened his eyes yet, but immediately popped up to exclaim "I GO ON VACATION AFTER TODAY YAAAY!"

I guess 6 year olds get that same feeling we do. That longing for a vacation.. a break from the usual grind. After all, his teacher has him cranking out crazy amounts of schoolwork week after week.

I didn't tell him this, but I was excited for him to be off, too. But not for reasons that I thought I would ever have. I was only excited to not set the alarm clock at 6:25am for a whole week. Sleep. Glorious beautiful sleep.

The week ended up being okay. I didn't really have any expectations. Sleeping until 10am isn't do-able in my world anymore. It's been almost 7 years of not being able to do that but I still can't get over that. I weep for sleep.
Although I did think to myself.."hmm... I wonder... we haven't been sick in a little while..." and then I made myself never think of that again. And just like the true jinx that I am, James came down with a cold that first weekend being off- Sunday to be exact. It wasn't a bad cold, but it was a chesty, headache-y, cold. I kept calling it "allergies" but even Rick would give me the stink eye. Just about every night during the vacation at least one child woke up more than once because the whole concept of breathing out of your mouth because your nose is stuffy sucks. Around the clock meds were involved. I was a nurse. A damn good nurse, too. I even figured out how to keep Natalie from getting out of bed, while sick, and in this house that's HUUUUUUGE. Although, being drunk on Benadryl could be considered cheating.
Natalie had some pretty gross gagging/ coughing/ 14 hour old strawberry upchuck episodes with her gagging.

14 hours. How do you still barf up a strawberry that you had 14 hours ago?

Well anyway... we had really good weekends during the whole spring break event. I asked James if he was heading to Cancun and he giggled. Then he asked... "what's a Cancun?" I embrace his 6 year old innocence. So much that I'm squeezing it with all my might.
And speaking of young innocence..here are 2 places we visited over the break:

Cheyenne Mountain Zoo in Colorado Springs:

It's a zoo built on a mountain! and you can feed giraffes holy crap!








This past Saturday was our very 1st Disney on Ice experience. I purchased the tickets months ago and didn't know what I was getting into. It was actually ridiculously cute and fun. The kids had a blast. Like the true dork that I am, I got teary-eyed when the princesses came out to dance. But that was short-lived when Natalie was mad that Sleeping Beauty didn't show up. 
Oops..
Well heck, any reason to get to wear our Mickey ears from Disney World then it's automatically approved. Without Princess Aurora or with..










Tuesday was James' first day back to school. OOOOh I was very giddy. He wasn't but I was! 1 second out of walking through the front door to walk to school, they called to say the power was out and the school was closed. 
Well, alrighty then. So Wednesday was James' first day back to school OOOOh I was very giddy!

(This summer is going to be very....very interesting.)

No comments: