Wednesday, June 8, 2011

I'm so confused about school that I don't even know what to title this entry.

I'm being totally honest when I admit that I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to school.

Or maybe the problem is that I have too many ideas of what I want to do and everything is conflicting.

OR! maybe the problem is that I have been out of school for so long that I've had way too much time to think about it. But whatever the reason, whatever the confusion actually is and wherever it comes from I can safely say that I DO know that I want to go back to college and finally finish my degree. Badly. Right now I have about a full year of community college credits under my belt. My goal is to at least achieve a BA within the next few years. With Rick beginning a full time 2 year degree program next month, it's going to take a lot of extra time. But hey, slow and steady wins... the degree.

I'm actually craving being schooled. I f'in want to learn that it's driving me nuts!
Sorry for "f'in" I just really don't know a better way to put it. Not anymore.
I've received some pretty awesome advice from some friends via Facebook. I want to save this advice so I copied and pasted my status with their awesome answers:

Seriously, how awesome are you guys? I love Katie's response.. basically.. we all just keep going back again and again. It's a never-ending cycle. Ha! So true.
You can never have enough degrees especially in this economy.
But here's the thing, I don't have all of the time in world now. I've waited so long that I kind of need a career by the time I'm 40. That doesn't mean I can't go for my 2nd or 3rd masters degree, I just need a career that is stable before that happens.
I did apply and got accepted at our local community college. I'm currently waiting on how much free money I can get. That's one little bit of advice I can throw in someone's way: if you're poor you can get all sorts of grants and free money! And especially if you're a mom. All I did was complete the FAFSA online and I'm getting ready to schedule a meeting with the college advisor so I can figure out what I want to actually major in.
If I could have like 8 majors I totally would. I'm really interested in biology, psychology, history, and economics. I am in no way shape or form interested in any math course (even though it'll always come to having to take at least a few math classes). I also loathe chemistry because I could seriously care less about the periodic table of elements. I don't care I don't care do NOT make me care. I only care about water and oxygen.
I took the Meyers-Briggs test at my job and never got the results. I should probably go and get those results. That could at least help a little in figuring out what I may be good at.
Here is what I do know... I love the idea of customer service but I hate selling something that I have no belief in. I hate "schmoozing" people and all that does is make me feel less confidant in their decision. I love the idea of helping people, but I don't know if something medical-related is right for me either. I've even contemplated maybe becoming a CNA. But then I get afraid that I would be too emotionally invested in these people that I wouldn't be able to handle it. See here I go with the mention of fear. Hmm.
I've thought about becoming a psychologist. A teacher. A human resources manager. An owner of a non-profit company that focuses primarily on CHDs. I've thought about becoming a social worker, but in what field? Rick and I have even discussed opening our own massage therapy clinic and I could have a heavy hand in operating it.
I do see a trend with my ideas though. Every idea is centered around helping people so I think it's safe to say that it where I want to end up. At least I know that....   I think.
So again, I will contact the college's advisor and see if they can help me figure out what to do. I don't think a meeting will make me any more confused right now.

No comments: