Tuesday, March 22, 2011

rain, where are you? not here that's for sure.

One of the major elements of Colorado that I'm still trying to get used to is how dry it is here. Everything here is dry and crispy, except for some of the newly grown grass that's popping up here and there. March, from what I'm learning, was supposed to be our snowiest month. Instead, we pretty much had zero snow and zero rain. I think it's something like .08 inches of precipitation.

I'm also a weather geek so sorry for the weather talk. I love weather. Well, we all do.. but I am constantly trying to figure out what is a normal pattern for Colorado and what's not. The first August we spent out here in Colorado was full of heavy downpours, which is not normal for this state. Every day is rained A LOT around every mid-afternoon for a full month.

Right now is the opposite of that. Things are dry which also equals wild fires. For a while I kept overlooking the "red flag" warnings on the weather site I visit daily.. not understanding what it really meant. Well, now I do:

IMG_0070


IMG_0069


This wildfire is about 20% contained right now. It's in the Golden area about 10 miles away. You can smell the smoke even in Littleton where I work. Luckily I haven't heard anything about homes being lost so that's awesome.
But this is just a small taste of what's to come this spring and summer.. I think I'm going to go and do some weird rain dance..

No comments: