Friday, November 19, 2010

I would like a revolving door for Christmas.

Dudes, I'm kind of freaking out.
EEEEEEKKK.
I haven't worked full time out of the home in 5.whole. years.
AAAHHHHHHH.

PHEW.

Okay. It'll be fine. Just fine. I'm excited if it's not obvious. I'm excited that I finally found a chance to be a part of the outside world again. So many of my friends and family work that it started to feel strange (to me and only me) that I will "just" a stay at home mom.
Just....
There is not such thing as "just." Because let's face it, I still come home after 8-9 hours and tackle the kids, give the husband a break, clean (with no pay at this "job") and soon, he'll be out the door to go to work once I'm home. Kind of like having that revolving door but without the fancy revolving door. One thing I love about this is that we both get a change of scenery. A change of pace. I get to get back out there and prove that I've actually learned a thing or two in the past 5 years:

I've learned patience like I never knew I could. Saying that patience is a virtue is still a mild way of putting it.
I've learned how to clean like I never knew I would ever have to do. And I've cleaned things that don't even gross me out anymore.
I've had to learn how to multi-task like nobody's business. In this business of being a stay at home mom, it involves lots of juggling and definitely growing eyes in the back of your head.
I've learned how to accept the things that I can't control and work my way around them and still get work done.
I've learned that physically and mentally I'm not as weak as I thought I was. Being a stay at home parent involves growing a thick skin and understanding that your toddlers and preschoolers are exactly like crazy cave people. Very heavy, wiggly, HEAVY cave people.
I've learned how to speak new languages just to get my point across to my kids. Not only that, it goes the other way around.
I've learned how to stay organized even when I don't want to be.
I've learned how to feel comfortable being totally and completely responsible for 2 little beings 24/7. The pressure of this new job I've acquired is a tough comparison to being at home for 5 years. Oddly enough, I've learned to crave more responsibility. As long as it doesn't involve time-outs and spanking.

At least from the hours of 8a to 4p on most days.

No comments: