Saturday, November 21, 2009

the potty experiment

Oh boy... the potty.

Well, I will definitely be able to give James some funny stories when he's older. And in those days, I do envision him without a pull-up. At least by 5th grade.
I think.

Ya see, James is a bright little guy (I know I'm partial) and he is still learning how to work the system. He knows what he should be doing which is what makes it even more stressful and aggravating. He knows that poop and pee belong in the potty..not on, not around, and not on the floor but in the potty. He has pretty good aim too which is impressive stuff. But James also knows that I can't make him go in the potty. I tempt him with cheerful expressions, candy, and high-fives and he'll either go if he feels like it or just ..well..won't. Then off to the corner he goes to hide and ahem..eliminate. I'd rather say poop and pee if that's okay though. So, off he goes to take a dump in his diaper or pee his little heart out and I can't do anything except show and remind him of the potty.
When he's on a streak with going pee (he has yet to feel comfortable to take a dump in the potty) he'll be so excited to wear his underwear (is it just me? but seeing my little guy in his tighty whities makes me giggle) and he'll use the potty practically all day long. And then there are days where he will fight fight fight with me. grrrr
But I don't yell at him. I don't scold him. Because I know that all that will do is have him take a leap backwards in progress. So, he's getting there. Slowly. But he's getting there. And I've got alot of time.
Honestly though, if I have to change a poopy pull-up (that's done on purpose) one more time I will scream. And do you even know what a 3 1/2 year old's poop is like??? UGH.


3 comments:

lizcjones said...

I do. It is gross. Very gross. We're getting there too - also slowy...

Katrina said...

I needed to read this post tonight! Too funny. I've been trying to potty train my son (he's 2) and it's been completely unsuccessful. He likes to sit on the potty and read book after book after book but as soon as he feels the urge to go to the bathroom he freaks out and screams for his diaper. I just keep telling myself...someday. And that someday will be GLOOOORIOUS!!! :)

Wodzisz Family said...

I am right there with you. Mine just turned 4 and he has been sort of potty trained for a year. I still keep him in pull ups at night and during naps. There are days when he screams for a pull up rather than underwear. The only good thing is that he will not poop anywhere but the potty...however, he will pee just about anywhere. I wish I could offer some advice, but if you have any I would gladly take it!