Friday, February 6, 2009

our little graduate

So! Natalie's new walking skillz have qualified her for graduating in the Infants and Toddlers program from at-home every 2 week physical therapy appointments to group therapy as often as once a week. We haven't been to a group therapy just yet but they're in the late mornings on Fridays. We're pretty excited because it'll not only get us 3 out of the house more during the week, but it's awesome exposure to a group setting for both Natalie and James. I thought it was pretty neat, also, that siblings are encouragement to come and participate. And with James being 3, he'll have a great impact on kids like Natalie (we still think to this day that he was really helpful in encouraging Natalie to walk..ya know..early sibling rivalry? lol). So, we're so so happy for Natalie. She's been taking so many steps at good distances everyday. She smiles so big and she's happy when doing it. We're now working on getting her out of her slightly spoiled phase because she's used to us parents getting things for her..things like her "binky" from off the floor when she's only a feet away ..her "blankie" by herself so we don't have to always get it for her.. stuff like that. She knows she's still the baby of the house and she uses that. I don't blame her. lol But she loves it when we tell her how much of a big girl she is. She really gets a kick out of it.
We knew these days would come when both kids were walking. But for me, I had a hard time envisioning it in my head..I guess because she became so delayed. Once the 15th month of her age came, I didn't worry. But when she turned 17, 18, then 19 months I went through this worry phase of "okay, I knew she was going to be delayed with this..but oh my god.. will she walk..like..ever?"That probably sounds horrible. I never lost faith, I just didn't want to get sad about it and then push Natalie too hard. Once she turned 20 months I completely switched gears and after hearing from her physical therapist that Natalie was "just fine..she's just hard-headed" I felt so much better. I thought for so long that it was our faults, as parents, that she was delayed. That we were doing something wrong. Even despite the expectation she would be delayed because of her surgery at 5 months.
We're just so thankful. So thankful for everything..for her Ms.Fran helping her..James being such a great big brother to her and giving her encouraging words .for someone "up there" looking out for us. And most importantly, for Natalie being so brave.

(Natalie is officially addicted to loving jewelry now. She's such a girlie-girl.)

4 comments:

Chicke3 said...

Yay Natalie!!!! That is so exciting!!!! :-D

Chicke3 said...

Oh I forgot to add that I love that picture of Natalie!

Dawn @ Bent, not broken said...

Thank you Cassie!!! You are too darn sweet. ;)

Kristin said...

So cute & it's great that she's doing so well :)